Public Housing and Section 8 (HUD)

Public Housing, Section 8 Project-based buildings, and Section 8 Vouchers are the federal government’s main programs for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and people with disabilities to rent affordable, safe and sanitary housing. For eligibility and other information, see For help in finding subsidized housing, see

Rent is usually based on 30% of a household’s annual adjusted income. The amount of income that is counted toward rent can be reduced by:

  1. $480 for each dependent
  2. $400 for a family that has a disabled or elderly family member
  3. Any reasonable child care expense necessary to enable a member of the family to be employed or attend school
  4. The sum of the following in excess of 3% of the household’s annual income:
    • unreimbursed medical expenses of a disabled or elderly person; and,
    • unreimbursed reasonable attendant care and auxiliary apparatus expenses for each disabled member of the family to the extent necessary to enable any member of the family to be employed.
  5. HUD Earned Income Disregard (EID)
    • Some, but not all, HUD-funded subsidized housing agencies also allow a work incentive for people with disabilities who start working. If you qualify for the EID, your earnings would not be counted toward your rent for the first year that you work, and only partially count the second year that you work. To see if you might qualify for the EID, contact your Housing Manager. See also the Connection's HUD Earned Income Disregard (EID) Flyer.

To apply for Public Housing or a Section 8 program, contact your local housing authority. To find housing authorities in your community, go to:

Housing and Urban Development (HUD):, or
Minnesota Housing Authorities Contact List

Housing Link
(Serving the seven-county metropolitan area of Minneapolis and St. Paul)

Minnesota Housing Finance Agency:
(651) 296-9832, or (800) 657-3647, or TTD (651) 297-2361
MN Housing Finance Agency